Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The FDNY - my idea of a perfect department!


For as long as I can remember, I've been a fan of the Fire Department of New York (FDNY) because, in my opinion, they epitomize what a perfect department is supposed to be.  Don't get me wrong, like all department's it has its problems, but the brothers seem to overcome them or, dare I say, thrive on them and keep on keepin' on. Take 9/11 for example, they took a major hit loosing 343 firefighters, but it didn't stop them -- they had a job to do and they did it!

There are probably those who would disagree with me, and say other departments are better, but I listen to the FDNY everyday either through ScannerLive, The Bravest.com, or Radio Reference, and they do a very impressive job. Take Thursday afternoon for example, they respond on a non-descript "fire in the basement" at a hospital. On arrival, they determined the fire was in an "oil-burner" (furnace) in the basement and achieved a quick knock-down. Never-the-less, the Incident Commander sounded (requested) a 10-75 - hi-rise assignment - to assist in the evacuation as well as to provide fresh crews for when rehab was necessary. Not counting the units that were assigned on the initial call, the hi-rise assignment brought five (5) additional engines, five (5) trucks, four (4) battalion chiefs,  one (1) deputy chief, one (1) rescue unit, and numerous other support units. For many departments, such a response would have severely taxed their available resources, but for the FDNY it was just another day in the Big Apple.

I encourage you not to just take my word for it, listen in using one of the links below and judge for yourself.



Until next time, stay safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment